A global group of collaborators and I just published a new paper in Nature Sustainability titled “Towards a sustainable and equitable blue economy“.
In this paper, we argue that “The global rush to develop the ‘blue economy’ risks harming both the marine environment and human wellbeing. Bold policies and actions are urgently needed. We identify five priorities to chart a course towards an environmentally sustainable and socially equitable blue economy.”
Our five recommendations, which are summarized in our press release, include:
- Establishing a global coordinating body and develop international guidelines;
- Ensuring national policies and institutions safeguard sustainability;
- Promoting equitable sharing of benefits and minimization of harms;
- Employing inclusive governance and decision-making processes; and
- Engaging with insights from interdisciplinary ocean science.
Read the paper here: rdcu.be/bUfM8
Accompanying press release: Achieving a safe and just future for the ocean economy